Thursday, May 4, 2017

Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli


Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli was a very refreshing work of art. There are far too many comics that stick to old conventional ways to design pages. I really enjoyed the sections where he would illustrate each character in their own style. (as pictured above) We can tell that the woman is much more open and free spirited. Represented by the overall loose use of lines and crosshatching. Where as the man on the right is stern and rigid in personality. We see that even his body is separated into sections and there are methodically straight lines everywhere with very little rendering clutter.  Mazzucchelli really has a way of capturing the characters' essence with each different style. The story itself was pretty interesting, but it wasn't something compelled me to keep reading. I read about half of the whole novel and I was interested in knowing what happened in the story, but there wasn't a need to finish it in one go. For me it is very hard for me to stop reading a good graphic novel and pick it up again later. There is this disconnect for me when I leave a story half finished.  I will probably go back and finish this novel but it's not my top priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment