Tuesday, May 2, 2017

March Book One by John Lewis & Andew Aydin


March by John Lewis & Andrew Aydin was not my favorite read so far. This is not because of the actual story or the way its told. I just don't particularly like the style in which the artist rendered the panels. However I will acknowledge the design of the pages as a whole. The art style is just not for me. I completely love the design of most of the actual panel layouts, and the story is again something that must be told. Maus by Art Spiegelman is the other example, which I believe, needs to be taught to the masses multiple times. March does not portray as much of the incredibly violent scenes as Maus did. However the events that March covers are just as horrifying. There is a difference between knowing that there is racism in the world, and knowing exactly how it manifests. Anyone rational person can tell you that racism is out there but not many people can provide exact examples, and scenarios. March was much easier for me to read that Maus. Mainly because of the overall better design of the panels. Also, because the story was a bit easier to digest. Where Maus made me feel nauseous at some points March made me feel anger. The factor of passing the horrible treatment of events through a person's recounting makes it somehow easier to connect with the literature. Maus was very blunt in its delivery. These stories do remind me of how terrible masses could become. I absolutely hate when anyone is targeted because of something so nebulous as race. Race does not determine a person, or any group of people. Unless the entire race were clones of one really messed up person, but that is not possible. There are very few reads that can ignite my passionate hatred for terrible flaws in humanity and both of these novels hit the mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment