Thursday, May 4, 2017

HellBoy and Savage Dragon by Erik Larsen

 
These are the comics I wish someone had shown me when I was a young lad. They break all the conventions of regular super hero comics. These comics are, in my opinion, more outlandish when they're explained out loud. Still, while you're reading them they pretty much make perfect sense. They are like those weird dreams where your left shoe is actually two bananas taped together but you don't question it. Just like this story of Savage Dragon and Hellboy fighting each other because a giant ape with Hitler's brain is mind-controlling them both and making them fight against their will. Yeah, that all checks out just fine. That's what’s so awesome about it. I regret not getting into these titles sooner. I know when I was a kid I didn't like many new and different concepts. For example, I never liked ugly or misshaped characters. I thought that what characters looked like on the outside was all that mattered and if something didn't look good then it wasn't worth my time. Well, I wasn't a very smart kid. I learned over the years that the characters that aren't perfect are the most interesting. Hellboy is a demon that carries the key to annihilation of the human race as an arm. That would probably be considered the biggest of red flags for a hero character. Instead, Hellboy showed me that no matter where you come from, you can decide to be your own person. You aren't tied down to your roots just because you were born there. Now when I read these stories I don't mind at all that there's a monkey with Hitler's brain. It’s there for the plot and that's fine by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment